This course is designed to introduce the public safety professional to the ERDI Tender skills
necessary to participate in public safety diving operations in a non-diving roll. Successful completion results in the ERDI Tender certification.
The ERDI Tender course can be taught in conjunction with the ERD I course. While the ERDI Tender Course is a non-diving course; the tender student should have a working knowledge of diving physics, physiology, techniques and equipment.
The course starts with the student completing E-Learning online, followed by a day in the classroom. From the classroom students will move to a controlled environment such as a pool to practice controlling a diver during search patterns. From the pool students move to the field to perform all duties a tender would encounter on a dive operation.
The student will be taught:
- Dive gear overview and the process of dressing a diver
- The roles of primary and back up tenders
- Learn about the rolls and structure of a dive team and its operations
- Performing scene assessment and crime scene recognition
- Mapping a scene
- Filling out the required documentation and dive logs
- The use of pull signals and the Comm Boxes
- Performing decontamination procedures on a diver and keeping themselves from contamination
- How to log and handle evidence correctly
- Monitoring diver air consumption
- Maintaining search patterns
- Maintaining situational awareness while focusing on the safety and well-being of their diver
When the student completes this course, they will have the skills necessary to perform all the rolls of a tender on a dive operation, as well as have the ability to complete all required paper work. Most importantly, the student will have the knowledge to help maintain a safe dive operation.
- Minimum age is 18
- CPR 1st or equivalent
- CPROx or equivalent
Qualifications of Graduates
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates are qualified to:
- Tend public safety divers in open water
- Participate in the planning and execution of public safety diving operations