The purpose of this course is to give the diver an overview of 5 different specialties, 2 core, and 3 additional SDI Specialties. The two core specialties are, SDI Deep and Navigation. One dive, from each of the specialties, may apply toward a complete specialty certification. Overhead environments and non-diving specialties are not allowed, and do not count toward the 3 chosen specialties. If computer Nitrox is to be used as one of the elected specialties, the instructor must be an SDI Computer Nitrox Instructor.
- SDI Open Water Scuba Diver, SDI Junior Open Water Scuba Diver, or equivalent; juniors can only take specialties approved for their age
- Minimum age 18, 10 with parental consent
Students are required to successfully complete the following:
- Students must perform the skills listed for dive 1 for each of the 2 core, and 3 chosen specialties. Specific course outlines for the respective specialties are listed later in this section of the SDI Standards.
1. Open Water Dive 1
- Test and check all equipment, i.e. depth gauges, bottom timers/watches and computers
- Familiarization with area
- Descend to planed depth and do not exceed any pre-planned limits
- Dive according to plan at a depth limited to 30 metres / 100 feet for first dive. Divers
between the ages of 10 and 15 cannot exceed 21metres / 70 feet
- Ascend to safety stop
1. Open Water Dive 1
- Skills are generally done with more success if practiced on the surface from shore. Using the shore or descent line as a starting /reference point makes keeping track of students easier
- Plan dive
- Enter water from boat or shore
- Practice out and back technique on surface
- Squares and triangles on surface
- Perform square on bottom
- Perform a triangle on the bottom
- Ascend and exit
Need to share this course with your training officer?
Find Us On Social Media
Our Professional Training Cadre is 100% Mobile To You
Northeast Public Safety Divers is a public safety dive training company that offers a variety of certification courses to recreational and public safety divers, from basic all the way through Supervisor, with a large catalog of specialties. Our entire operation is mobile and we will bring an entire certification course to your department or area.